Optimizing your website can be a pain especially if you are new or do not have any technical knowledge, thereof. Do you know that Google has released several updates that have drastically had an enormous impact on a site’s ranking? To give you an overview as to what are they, read on.
Before this update was implemented, contents that are about 300 words, inserted with high page rank links can go to the number 1 spot in Google for months. With the release of Google Panda, a 300-word article or blog with high PR links no longer makes it to the top.
Thus, for those who want to improve the ranking of their site, go for longer content. A good melbourne seo consultant can help you with this task and ensure you have quality content that will actually rank.
Before the release of Penguin, the site that has the most number of backlinks made it to the top. But with the dawn of Google Penguin, things have changed. It is all about having backlinks that are relevant and trusted.
Thus, if you do have links that are of low quality to your pages, it would have an adverse effect. With the release of Penguin 2.1, the search engine is now focusing on the quality of the links. The harsh truth is that if your site has a huge number of links coming from various locations that are not connected to the niche you are in, there is a huge possibility of getting a penalty.
It is important that you do need to focus as to where the links are coming from. They should be of the same niche, subject or theme of your site.
What makes Hummingbird different from the rest of the updates is that it does not penalize websites. It rewards sites that do offer great answers to a searcher’s problem or intent. There is now an improvement about how Google interprets queries coming from the searchers.
It aims to serve the searchers by giving out better results on a search. The primary element of Hummingbird is conversational search. Thus, making use of conversational keywords will lead to creating content that is of high value. The way people are searching these days is more of a conversational way. This only puts that SEO is way past using keywords to rank.
The keyword here is “local search.” Yes, this is what Pigeon update is all about. It has taken local search up to the next level wherein there is a need for accuracy and specificity.
Google has made an announcement that with the release of Pigeon it further created a closer tie between its core (web search via Google) and local algorithm (search via Google Maps). There is a connection between web and map search.
Before when a person searches on Google, it will have a different result when searching via Google Maps. With Pigeon, the algorithm enables to make a connection between the search done through the web and then, with Google Maps.
By now, you already have understood what the major algorithms are all about. With this, you will be prompted with the next logical step in improving your site’s ranking and more efficiently.
A quite recent technical term that gained a huge fame and importance around the world in few years. Any guessing? Yes, it is SEO. Over the years Search Engine Optimization has become very essential to all webmasters, but many people wonder how and why did it come up, when was it first used and so many questions about its backgrounds and history.To answer such questions, we need to look back at the literary history of SEO
- When Did It Start?
Search Engine Optimization initially, was developed and used in the 1990s. SEO concept back then was very simple. It was about submitting pages addresses and URLs to existing search engines.
These search engines used specific techniques to store information like words, links on these pages, and make web indexes of them. Repeating same keywords on pages was a free ticket to number one rank on search engines.
- How did the evolution of SEO happen?
- Before Google Era: Yes, we can call it that, as Google made revolutionary changes in SEO methods. Years go by, the internet became more popular, and people used search engines to search for almost everything. People were able to find the words they searched for, but could hardly find useful information. Stuffing keywords without relevancy became a huge problem, as it caused appearance of many spammy schemes and illegal SEO practices. Existing search engines like Yahoo and MSN made efforts to face such schemes but did not succeed.
- Google Era: In 1997, a new search engine was launched. Lawrence Page and Sergey Brin created Google. Since its launch, Google followed certain techniques to rank website. These techniques focused on the quality of content and the number of links a website gets from other websites, not the repetitive keywords. This new formula was hard to violate or manipulate, which made people say goodbye to spammystratgies. It also made SEO the way we know it now.
- 2000-2009: Google’ vision of web services became wider. It collaborated with other popular search engines to enhance their policies and update their algorithms. These actions made many spammywebsites lose their top ranks. Google introduced personalized search. It began using someone’s search history to present more results that are relevant to users. Google Analytics and Google Trends were launched. They became game changers, as they presented accurate measure of traffic and worldwide keyword searches.
- 2010- Present: Google keeps enhancing search suggestions and results. SEO witnessed another new perspective that came along with the wide spread of social media and blogs.In order to make successful optimization SEO experts are using rich, useful and informative content that can be shared on social platforms. These new SEO strategies made important contribution to the fast growing information and knowledge exchange through websites.
That is how the literary history of SEO is. In the future, we expect much more developed SEO techniques and methods that will match the rapidly and instantly transforming world of the internet.